Landscape Planning; Seven Things to Consider
Landscape planning is about asking questions, making sketches, putting together a scrapbook, talking to friends, and knowing what you want ahead of time.
How long have you been thinking about new landscaping for your yard? Are things looking shabby? Is the maintenance too much for you? Are you planning on spending more time outdoors, but your yards just aren’t inviting?
First, decide what you want to accomplish with new a new landscape:
1. What do you hope to gain with a newly landscaped yard; a safe place for your children to play, are you planning to adopt an animal, or, would you like a place to unwind at the end of a stressful day?
2. What activities would you like spend time doing in your outdoor environment? Cooking, dining, entertaining, gardening, exercising, lounging…and more?
3. What style of landscape are you attracted to? Do you love Mediterranean, or French country? Are you planning a tropical or Asian theme? Or are you practical and want to grow things you can eat?
4. What color schemes are you drawn to? Mono-chromatic, primary colors, contrasting, complimentary or a little bit of every color?
5. How much time do you want to spend on maintenance? Do you like to “water as needed”, or an automated watering system. Do you want to weed, trim and prune. Or, do you want a low maintenance system?
6. Can you afford to spend a lot for instantly mature landscaping, or do you want to spend less and nurture your yard to maturity in a few years?
7. How much can you afford to spend on landscaping? Do you need to get a loan or will you pay-as-you-go project?
Write down the answers to these questions, make sketches, put together a scrapbook, talk to your friends, check out your neighbor’s yards…you get the idea…get the facts and know what you want.
It is possible to design, install and maintain a landscaping project without outside help.
However, if you need structural features (like a retaining wall, swimming pool or outdoor kitchen), it would be wise to consult with a landscape architect or engineer. Furthermore if you want fast results, planning with a crew of professionals can provide instant gratification!